By Darlis A. Miller
First released as TO shape A extra ideal UNION in 1941, this infrequent quantity of Civil War-era letters relates the poignant reports of an English immigrant within the carrier of the U.S. military. After Frank Clarke's tragic loss of life in 1862, his spouse Mary corresponded together with his English mom, detailing the day-by-day struggles of an army widow and her 5 sons in frontier Kansas. 12 halftones .
Read or Download Above a Common Soldier: Frank and Mary Clarke in the American West and Civil War from Their Letters, 1847-1872 PDF
Best women in history books
• A research of the primordial determine of the good Goddess and her endured worship via time as proven by way of the myths, shrines, and sanctuaries worldwide that honor this strong image of construction.
• A famous historian on pre-Christian societies offers an intensive world wide directory of websites and sanctuaries linked to goddess worship.
• Explores goddess worship in cultures world wide, together with local American, Egyptian, Indian, and Oriental civilizations.
• Demonstrates that even if her worship has occasionally been compelled underground it hasn't ever disappeared.
In old Babylon she was once Anat, in Egypt, Isis and Hathor, Dana in Celtic eire, Rhea and Demeter in Greece, and in India, Anapurna the supplier. She is the nice Goddess, the Goddess of Beginnings, the emblem of Earth and the giver of lifestyles, the giant mom, who represents the entire powers and mysteries of production for early humanity.
Shifting her sunlight organization onto masculine deities and blackening these of her symbols that, just like the serpent, couldn't be assimilated, patriarchal societies pressured the preeminent strength of the female into an imprecise and subservient place. but, as proven via famous student Jean Markale, the Goddess didn't easily disappear while her place used to be usurped, and the ability she represents has been the resource of constant spiritual devotion from precedent days in the course of the heart a while as much as the current day.
In the plethora of myths, websites, and sanctuaries dedicated to this robust determine, the good Goddess offers considerable proof of the extreme permanence of her worship--even on the middle of these religions that attempted to smash her.
- Imperialism in the Twentieth Century
- The Good Women of the Parish. Gender and Religion After the Black Death
- The Social Origins of the Urban South: Race, Gender, and Migration in Nashville and Middle Tennessee, 1890-1930
- Revising Herself: Women's Identity from College to Midlife
Extra info for Above a Common Soldier: Frank and Mary Clarke in the American West and Civil War from Their Letters, 1847-1872
F. C. Or his representatives. 6th. Copartners to build an office out of Copartnership funds & in case one partner defrauding or attempting to defraud the other, the interest of the one so defrauding or attempting to defraud the other in the said property shall be absolutely forfeited to the other. 7th. Said Tuttle agrees to use his exertions to enable the said C. F. C. to be admitted one year from the date thereof. 8th. Said partners are to bear equally all expences. 9th. Each partner to furnish his room at his private expence.
To keep partnership books. 3rd. Copartners share equally all monies received from business & also from present & future offices held by either partners. 4th. accounts to be settled once in 3 months, and if either copartner receives money without entering or defrauds or attempts to defraud the other then partnership to be void. 5th. C. F. Clarke to pay said Tuttle 300 dollars for partnership, and in case of dissolution of partnership or death of said C. F. , said Tuttle to pay such a proportion of purchase money to said C.
Army, attempted to go through late last Fall but in crossing the Rocky Mountains lost all of his baggage and beasts, together with 12 men out of 30, from cold & starvation. 20 The route by Panama is not much better, there not being sufficient means of Conveyance on the Pacific. I have given up all idea of going there. The Cholera has not reached this place yet but we expect it up as soon as the hot weather sets in. it has been very severe down in the Southern States. Pray give my love to Mary Anne with my best wishes for her future happiness.